KL: More buildings but no tenants?

So Avenue K is being refurbished... again. I actually quite like the place but somehow, I think it suffers from *something* but I don't know what. Location is good, right next to KLCC and connected to the LRT but it just cannot seem to make it big.

I reckon it has something to do with the management - I used to have season parking there and if the car park management is any indication of the total mall management.. well.. hmm! Not a good experience.

One of my fantasies is to take over that place, turn it into a Services & Senses Mall.. yeah baby, it's all about sight, smell, sound, taste and feel. Meaning, focus on F&B, services like spa, massage, beauty and so on. Don't bother fighting for retail because that's what Suria KLCC is all about, you can't win. Anyway, looks like they are positioning themselves as a fashion retail space. *shakes head* Pavilion has just opened its Fashion Avenue - don't think Avenue K can compete.

Anyway, walking along Jln Ampang today, I noticed that Menara CMY next to Avenue K has been empty for quite a while. It housed a jeweler (KM Oli Mohd) once and also Alliance Bank; before the scandal with Bridget Lai, their ex-CEO, broke. Super prime location, relatively small and cozy but empty!

I don't know but it is giving me a sense of disquiet that there are so many new, well built office towers and retail spaces in the KLCC area that are either just completed or about to come online but they are just not occupied.

Completed are - Menara Hap Seng, the Hamphire Office suites, Menara CMY, Avenue K which has been in the doldrums for years, Menara Prestige (stupid name if you ask me).

Coming online - Menara Binjai, the Intermark - refurbished Empire Tower with 60+ floors.

Under construction - the Trillion, the International Financial Centre off Bukit Bintang.

So much space, but are there even enough businesses to fill them up? Only time will tell. I would like to be optimistic but..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FundMyHome - Malaysia's new property crowd funding review

Ryan & Miho Petaling Jaya

What does your neighbourhood say about you: Kuala Lumpur