Will Writing

My colleague recently got into a minor accident while crossing the road, a motorcycle knocked her over. The scary part was that she was carrying her infant son at the time, fortunately they were alright apart from scrapes and bruises.

Now, the background to this was that a few years ago, she mentioned that she doesn't have a will despite having 2 kids and I was like, "Girlfriend!? Really? I'm all alone and I already have my will done up, what's wrong witchu??" (ok, I didn't actually say that..) And she was so surprised that I had my estate plans all done up and I said, it doesn't matter how much or how little you think you have, what's important is that you make sure that your survivors are taken care of and there is as little hassle as possible. 

An uncle of mine died intestate and my aunt went through a long and tedious process to unfreeze his assets; not to mention fending off his greedy sisters who wanted his property, who cares about his widow and children right? I tell you, some (most) people's morals fly out the window whenever there is substantial money involved if there is a remote chance they can get their hands on it without any work!

So after the accident, I asked her if she had done up her will and she said no (!!) and this time, I let her have it and said that if this is not a wake-up call, then what is??

She thought it was very expensive to do so and I said, yes, if you go to a lawyer to get a complex will set up but in the meantime, just go to Amanah Raya and get it done la!

Haiyo, #facepalm moment..

A few days later, she came to me and told me that she found out that you can even do it online these days, just download the form, fill it up then go down to their offices to get it witnessed and filed. Only costs RM350.

Seriously, it's a very small sum to pay to ensure that your family doesn't have to go through the courts to gain access to your estate if you die suddenly, right?

I think a lot of people are afraid of death and anything to do with it, especially things like wills, life insurance and cemetery plots. Come on, death is a part of life. Don't be so emotional about it and get your will done! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FundMyHome - Malaysia's new property crowd funding review

Ryan & Miho Petaling Jaya

What does your neighbourhood say about you: Kuala Lumpur